Integrate the knowledge and understanding of Traditional Tibetan, Mongolian and Chinese medicines with Western medicine and research methods. Primary interests in research and integration of Traditional Tibetan and Bio Medicines
Institute for Functional Medicine (2010 - 2013)
Clinical study of western systems biology medicine
Dongguk Royal University - Los Angeles, California (2000-2001)
Completed Master’s Degree programm in Traditional Chinese Medicine
Tibetan Medical Institute – Dharamsala, India (1990 - 1992)
Degree of Menpa Kachupa in Traditional Tibetan Medicine
Tibetan Medical School – Lhasa, Tibet (1983 - 1988)
Degree of Bachlor in Traditional Tibetan Medicine
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Global Institute for Tibetan Medicine (June 2006 – present)
- Founding Director of non-profit with goals of Education, Research and Conservation of Tibetan Medicine
Tibetan Healing Center, San Diego, CA (2001 – present)
- Practice of Tibetan Medicine
University of California, Santa Barbara (2001 – 2003)
Center for the Study of Neurodegenerative Disorders, Neuroscience Research Institute
Tibetan-Mongolian Medical Research Specialist.Diagnosis of neurodegenerative disorders from perspective of Tibetan medicine
- Assisted with selection of medicinal plants for cultivation in medicinal garden and for study in lab.Prepared for clinical studies of Tibetan-Mongolian medicine for multiple sclerosis.
Gerber Medical Clinic - Reno, Nevada (2000 – 2001)
- Herbal and nutritional consultant
Medical University of Mongolia – Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (Sept 1995 – Jan 1998)
Professor of Tibetan and Mongolian Medicine and Nutrition
- Lectured and trained medical students to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients with Traditional Medicine.
- Comparative research of Tibetan and Western Medicines for thyroid disorders; compared Tibetan pulse diagnosis with laboratory tests, and the effects of herbs versus thyroid hormones on outcomes.
- Collaborated with European doctors in Ulaanbaatar, using Traditional Tibetan Medicine in combination with Western Medicine to treat all kinds of cancer and chronic disease; trained many western MDs and PhDs in Tibetan Medicine.
- Advisor to many hospitals in Mongolia, including the Public Hospital of Ulaanbaatar and Mongolian Therapeutic Hospital Advised and treated University patients
Menpa Dratsang Institute for Doctors – Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
(Dec 1992 – Sept 1994 and Sept 1995 – Jan 1998)
Professor of Tibetan Medicine,taught Tibetan Medical theory and clinical practice.
- Lectured and trained medical students in Traditional Tibetan Medicine and Nutrition
- Advised and treated University patients
Nyitri Public Hospital – Nyitri, Tibet (Aug 1988 – Aug 1990)
Doctor of Traditional Tibetan Medicine and Nutrition
- Diagnosed and treated patients using Traditional Tibetan herbal and nutritional therapies. Provided nutritional counseling for inpatients and outpatients referred by the hospital. Monitored results and improvements with follow-up consultations
- Tibetan medicine interpretation of myelin and multiple sclerosis. Tibet House U.S. & Columbia Integrative Medicine Program, Longevity & Optimal Health Conference: Integrating Eastern & Western Perspectives, September 18-21, 2006.
- Department of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine and Osher Center for Integrative Medicine. Workshop on Tibetan Medicine. Tibetan medicine interpretation of myelin and multiple sclerosis, University of California, San Francisco, May 2004.
- Second International Congress on Tibetan Medicine. Tibetan medicine interpretation of myelin and multiple sclerosis. Washington, DC, November 2003.
- Second International Congress on Tibetan Medicine, Washington, D.C. Tibetan Medicine and Cancer. November 2003.
- Overview of Tibetan Medicine for Family Practice Residents, Indiana University School of Medicine, Ball Memorial Hospital, Muncie, IN, October 2002.
- International Congress on Tibetan Medicine, Washington, D.C., 1999.
- World Health Organization, Represented the Medical University of Mongolia to give the most advanced lecture on Traditional Tibetan Medicine to doctors practicing Tibetan Medicine in Mongolia, 1997.
- International Conference on Eastern Medicine, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia; represented Tibetan Medical Institute, Dharamsala, India; lectured on pulse diagnosis and infectious diseases, 1995.
- Inner Asian Research Center, Cambridge, England, lecturer for two months, 1993.
- International Conference on Eastern Medicine, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia; represented Menpa Dratsang Institute for Doctors; lectured on diagnosing and treating cancer, 1993.
- Dr. Lobsang Dhondup, Dr. Cynthia Husted and Paul J. Mills of UC San Diego. Tibetan Medicine Conference on Mind-Body Health held at Harvard in October, 2017
Pennyroyal G, Dhondup L, Husted C. A Review of Medicinal Plant Patents. Recent Patents on Biomedical Engineering, 2011; 4:126-138.
Husted C. and Dhondup L. Bridging the Gap Between Science and Traditional Medicine: Microscopic and Macroscopic Agreement of Three nyes pa Descriptions of Multiple Sclerosis.
Three Great Nobilities Honor for Excellence in Knowledge, Behavior, and Health Standards (This honor is rarely offered.)
Asian Heritage Award for Excellence in Health and Medicine, San Diego, CA, 2004.
Tibetan, Mongolian, Chinese, English